Work zones are incredibly populated, which makes them one of the most dangerous places. Traffic accidents happen in work zones all the time.
Both commercial motor vehicle and passenger vehicle fatalities are common in work zones. That’s why it is an integral part of work zone safety to keep them safe with the help of traffic agencies.
Large work zones are also filled with buses and trucks, which increases the risks of accidents due to their limited maneuverability.
In order to make operations in work zones safe, the work zones’ management must seek the help of traffic management companies and agencies. It’s impossible for the management of work zones alone to handle traffic-related issues in work zones.
Risks in and Around Work Zones
Since work zones are rarely free of any traffic, they are incredibly prone to accidents. Following are some of the common and repeated risks related to work zones worldwide.
- Construction vehicles are often found around work zones. They often hit highway workers and pedestrians.
- Workers in certain work zones usually work in low light, especially at night. The low visibility of congested work zones can therefore lead to injuries and traffic accidents
- Overturns and collisions are common in work zones
- Traffic vehicles hitting flaggers is pretty common in work zones.
These risks make it crucial for work zones’ management to do something regarding work zone safety.
Work Zone Traffic Safety
Work zones require extensive monitoring and management by professionals. Since they are incredibly congested places, this is an incredibly tough job.
Here are some traffic safety strategies and procedures that can help keep work zones safe:
- Enhance the visibility in the work zones by installing efficient lights in spots where they are needed
- Devise strategies for instructing drivers to follow certain paths in order to keep the work zones safe
- Use approved traffic control devices, such as posts, barricades, barrels, and cones.
- Use crash cushions, truck-mounted impact absorbers, collapsible barriers, and other techniques and devices.
- Install appropriate flaggers all over the work zones.
Work zones should get as much attention as roads in terms of traffic safety. They are very congested places and highly prone to accidents. Management should be able to keep work zones safe while they carry out there operations.
Luckily, you can avail services experienced companies like Capital Traffic Management Solutions (CTMS), specialized in safety-related traffic operations on all scales, can help work zone management out.